The difficulty in analysing the data I can download from Whitby Hydro is not having a clear record of what was happening during the time being analyzed. So when I review our consumption, I have no idea what caused the increase (or decrease) in use. So I have decided to make a tracking chart where I can record dishwasher runs, washing and drying of clothes, etc. Also on my chart will be whether I shut down the computers or not as I haven’t been consistent with that. I know this seems super anal but without it I have no clue what is happening to cause my hydro to spike. And in related news, PeakSaver program finally called and we have an appointment booked in December to hook us up. We will also get a new power monitor so that should help with the real time power saving.
I can go online and download the hydro usage for our house. Here is the graph of October 2012. I started this “project” on October 25th so this graph works as the BEFORE snapshot. The graph does correlate to the average temperature which I guess makes some sense for the summer but we try to limit our use of the air conditioning so I am not sure why it should map that closely. I have my suspicions about the validity of the actual data but haven’t kept any logs to match against. That is something I will have to do in the future. We also own a hydro tracking device that we had installed last year but had to remove when the smart meter was installed. The device allows real time monitoring versus the “day after” information I can get from the hydro website. I will have to nag my husband to get it installed again.